I've got my blinker on - I've got the right of way!
James Mayfield
2004-08-16 04:01:37 UTC
I think I've found a new thing to be my number one pet hate.

People who truly, utterly, and completely believe that they have the right
of way to move into your lane (over the top of you no less) just because
they have their blinker on.

Every morning I get some idiot or another doing it (the Woodville Rd, Church
St, M4, Parra Rd intersection is notorious for it).

They want to merge left, into my lane. They look (well, there is some saving
grace). See me there. Put there blinker on. And begin to move over. Then
when I honk etc, they look at me as if to say "What are you honking me for
you crazy bastard. Didn't you see my blinker? Clearly I have the right of
way."

I've even had a guy pull up next to me at the lights before, and tell me how
lucky I was he didn't hit me. "You would have had to pay for all the
damage." he said. "My blinker was on, I had the right of way."
--
James Mayfield
(Ahh well, I guess the only reason he didn't hit me was 'cause I wasn't
speeding at the time.)
Zebee Johnstone
2004-08-16 04:22:30 UTC
In aus.motorcycles on Mon, 16 Aug 2004 14:01:37 +1000
Post by James Mayfield
I've even had a guy pull up next to me at the lights before, and tell me how
lucky I was he didn't hit me. "You would have had to pay for all the
damage." he said. "My blinker was on, I had the right of way."
Was thinkig about this this morning, watching people do the sydney thing
of zoom up the inside to the parked car then reef hard right.

That there is legally no such thing as "right of way", but only duty to
give way is true but almost unknown.

You both have a duty to avoid a crash, he also has a duty not to change
lanes unless its safe to do so.

Your chances of enforcing this unless you are a Big Truck is minimal,
such is life in the modern roadsafety environment...

Zebee
--
Zebee Johnstone (***@zip.com.au), proud holder of
aus.motorcycles Poser Permit #1.
"Motorcycles are like peanuts... who can stop at just one?"
Stan Gifford
2004-08-16 05:19:36 UTC
In the UK where I learnt the following was drummed into me -

Mirror, Signal, Manouver

(And it doesn't mean look into mirror - then signal - it meant look into
mirror and then if it is safe signal!).

Stan
Zebee
James Mayfield
2004-08-16 05:23:15 UTC
Post by Stan Gifford
Mirror, Signal, Manouver
Wouldn't signal be better off going earlier? If you signal _just_ before you
manouver, you aren't giving people long enough to see it and react before
you have moved. What if you missed something when you "mirrored"?
Stan Gifford
2004-08-16 07:37:47 UTC
Hey don't ask me - better minds than mine came up with this (The british
equ of the RTA :-) ).

I think it means look in the mirror
If something coming or not safe sit tight
else
turn on indicators
{Then I reackon there should be another mirror step here...)
Then manouver

Stan
Scott Gilbert
Is your opinion of your mind _really_ that low?
Scott Gilbert
Stan Gifford - APAC command centre manager

Dale Porter
2004-08-16 06:24:29 UTC
Post by Stan Gifford
In the UK where I learnt the following was drummed into me -
Mirror, Signal, Manouver
(And it doesn't mean look into mirror - then signal - it meant look into
mirror and then if it is safe signal!).
Signal first. Always signal first. *Then* check for safety. If it's not safe, keep the indicator on
while checking for safety.

The turn indicators are there to warn people of your intentions to turn or change lanes. As such
they should be used well before the actual move is made so that other road users are well aware that
you're going to try and make the move.
--
Dale Porter
GPX250 => CBR600 => CBR954 + VTR1000
*Add .au to e-mail address to respond*
rustydog

Tim Moran
2004-08-16 14:06:27 UTC
Post by Dale Porter
Signal first. Always signal first. *Then* check for safety. If it's not safe, keep the indicator on
while checking for safety.
The turn indicators are there to warn people of your intentions to turn or change lanes. As such
they should be used well before the actual move is made so that other road users are well aware that
you're going to try and make the move.
Wot he said.

The fscking indicators are there to signal intention, not action, I know
you just changed lanes you moron, there's no need for a flashing light
to tell me that.

One day I am going to reach into some car and rip off the indicator
stalk as I ride past, up till now I"ve settled for the occasional
screaming insult, but it doesn't seem to be any good.
Knobdoodle
2004-08-17 10:38:10 UTC
Post by Tim Moran
Post by Dale Porter
you're going to try and make the move.
Wot he said.
The fscking indicators are there to signal intention, not action, I know
you just changed lanes you moron, there's no need for a flashing light
to tell me that.
One day I am going to reach into some car and rip off the indicator
stalk as I ride past, up till now I"ve settled for the occasional
screaming insult, but it doesn't seem to be any good.
Yeah; I'm pretty much in this camp too.
Mind you; if I signal and then some cockhead tries to close the gap I just
pretend to not see them and change lanes anyway! I'm too old and grumpy to
tolerate stupid power contests on the road.

As an aside; am I a misogynist or do others also find that they get far
less leeway from women drivers than they get from men?
Women will never let me merge or change lanes and they will never make
eye-contact with me (to engage in that non-verbal "you're right", "off you
go" communicatey stuff... and frustratingly; they don't look at me for
when I'M are nodding "after you".... AND they don't give me the
acknowlegdment wave or nod when I let them in!!).
But then again; I s'pose women don't spend a lot of time looking at me
anyway.......
Clem
John Littler
2004-08-17 11:28:43 UTC
Post by Dale Porter
The turn indicators are there to warn people of your intentions to turn or change lanes. As such
they should be used well before the actual move is made so that other road users are well aware that
you're going to try and make the move.
No no no no ! Bloody Victorians ! You indicate AFTER you've changed
lanes to show you really intended to do it and it wasn't an accident.

Geez ! How would you go in Sydney, I ask you ? :-)

JL
--
Australian Financial Review 17 August 2004
"So far Howard's luck has survived a great deal: his move to dismiss
http://www.johnhowardlies.com/
TB
2004-08-17 12:21:17 UTC
Post by John Littler
Post by Dale Porter
you're going to try and make the move.
No no no no ! Bloody Victorians ! You indicate AFTER you've changed
lanes to show you really intended to do it and it wasn't an accident.
Geez ! How would you go in Sydney, I ask you ? :-)
JL
No No No No No..
You brush the indicator so it flashes once, then you cross all 3 lanes in
one go to turn right

TB
Tim Moran
Brush the left indicator that is
Martin Taylor
2004-08-16 07:41:30 UTC
Stan Gifford said....
Post by Stan Gifford
In the UK where I learnt the following was drummed into me -
Mirror, Signal, Manouver
(And it doesn't mean look into mirror - then signal - it meant look into
mirror and then if it is safe signal!).
So, if a car's where you wish to go, by not indicating, you're stuck in
that lane. By indicating, you're telling them that you wish to move
over, and hopefully, they'll be courteous enough to let you in.
Stan Gifford
2004-08-16 08:16:24 UTC
courteous< But I am in Sydney.
I think it's swings and roundabouts. WHilst it ain't perfect, someone
occupying the same space as you is even less perfect.

Stan
Stan Gifford said....
Nev..
2004-08-16 14:28:18 UTC
Post by Stan Gifford
courteous< But I am in Sydney.
I think it's swings and roundabouts. WHilst it ain't perfect, someone
occupying the same space as you is even less perfect.
It's far from perfect, and it's people who do this who make people like us
riding behind them think we're clairvoyant because we say stuff like "I knew
he was going to change lanes about a second before he indicated".. because the
intention to change lanes is signalled by the driver checking the adjacent
lane, rather than their indicator, whether we were conscious of that or not.

Nev..
'03 ZX12R
Nev..
2004-08-16 14:21:12 UTC
Post by Stan Gifford
In the UK where I learnt the following was drummed into me -
Mirror, Signal, Manouver
Isn't there supposed to be a headcheck in there somewhere...?

Nev..
'03 ZX12R
Dave Milligan
2004-08-16 04:56:15 UTC
On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 14:01:37 +1000, "James Mayfield"
Post by James Mayfield
I think I've found a new thing to be my number one pet hate.
People who truly, utterly, and completely believe that they have the right
of way to move into your lane (over the top of you no less) just because
they have their blinker on.
It's not a new thing for me. This has been pissing me off for years.
Just because they have a blinker flashing they think they have the
right of way. Anywhere!

In NZ the rule is that you may change lanes using the indicator and
only if there is sufficient room (between the traffic in the lane you
intend moving to) without causing hassle to other drivers.

Not sure what the Aussie/VIC rules are, but when I'm in the van, with
the frontal threatening bullbars, I don't give 'em space, but on the
bike I preserve myself by being alert enough to brake if/when they
start to cross over into my space.

Arseholes, the lot of 'em.

Very few of them will allow bikes space, but the ones who do, I always
give them a thumbs up thank you.

Kind regards
Dave Milligan
TB
2004-08-16 07:26:01 UTC
Post by James Mayfield
[...]
You think that's bad? Replace said car with Statesman and trailer. I've
given up getting/staying angry over these lunatics (albeit after some
colourful stress relieving language that I'd never use in front of polite
company).
All you can do is check your mirrors and haul back/out of their way. To them
you'll be a *kathump*. To you it'll be a lot worse.
People should be taught that driving/riding is a privilege, not a right. All
this crap happens with it's seen as a right.

TB
(The guy in the statesman was in no hurry to get out of the way either..
even after I horned)
atec
Post by atec
Im finding of late kicking the rear vision mirror off doesn't always
rate consideration by the car driver , almost like they just didn't
notice.
They're probably too busy watching the In Car DVD player. Those things can
get distracting when they get bigger than 300mm..

TB
atec
2004-08-16 09:17:48 UTC
Post by TB
Post by atec
Im finding of late kicking the rear vision mirror off doesn't always
rate consideration by the car driver , almost like they just didn't
notice.
They're probably too busy watching the In Car DVD player. Those things can
get distracting when they get bigger than 300mm..
I have seen that , and truthfully the glazed eyes were a worry.
Post by TB
TB
Post by TB
You think that's bad? Replace said car with Statesman and trailer. I've
given up getting/staying angry over these lunatics (albeit after some
colourful stress relieving language that I'd never use in front of polite
company).
~
Huh? Have you found the override code for your V-chip?
Clem
TB

just call me a "hacker"
Martin Taylor
2004-08-16 07:31:43 UTC
James Mayfield said....
Post by James Mayfield
People who truly, utterly, and completely believe that they have the
right of way to move into your lane (over the top of you no less) just
because they have their blinker on.
And my pet hate are those who ignore your indication to merge and refuse
to allow you room to move over.

One's as bad as the other.
Dave Milligan
2004-08-16 08:06:56 UTC
On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 17:31:43 +1000, Martin Taylor
Post by Martin Taylor
James Mayfield said....
Post by James Mayfield
People who truly, utterly, and completely believe that they have the
right of way to move into your lane (over the top of you no less) just
because they have their blinker on.
And my pet hate are those who ignore your indication to merge and refuse
to allow you room to move over.
One's as bad as the other.
Surely the vehicle moving over the dotted lines (and therefore
changing lanes or merging from a closed lane) must give way!

Therefore it's a matter of waiting for a gap.

NOT a matter of creating a gap!! or just barging in because they've
got the indicator on.

That's my interpretation of this discussion.

Kind regards
Dave Milligan
rodent
2004-08-16 09:59:04 UTC
First of all Dave, i've rode for 23 years and still ride...

Tomorrow when i'm driving my truck and i see a bike or two riding the white
line or the emergency lane with no indicators on, i'll try to remember your
comments......

"NOT a matter of creating a gap!! or just barging in because they've got the
indicator on."......

And i'll close that gap a bit, just to suit your way of thinking :)

Try waiting for a gap in a truck pissant.....you get bored after 2kms

cheers
roddent
Post by Dave Milligan
On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 17:31:43 +1000, Martin Taylor
Post by Martin Taylor
James Mayfield said....
Dave Milligan
SmeeR1100s
2004-08-16 11:08:22 UTC
Post by rodent
First of all Dave, i've rode for 23 years and still ride...
Tomorrow when i'm driving my truck and i see a bike or two riding the white
line or the emergency lane with no indicators on, i'll try to remember your
comments......
"NOT a matter of creating a gap!! or just barging in because they've got the
indicator on."......
And i'll close that gap a bit, just to suit your way of thinking :)
Try waiting for a gap in a truck pissant.....you get bored after 2kms
cheers
roddent
SSSSSSSSoooooooooooooooooooo easy to manoevre around a truck then blast
past.
u block up one side then all we do is fly past from the other before u
have time to scratch.
I don't think you have ridden for 23 years if you think the way you do.
atec
2004-08-16 11:13:50 UTC
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by rodent
First of all Dave, i've rode for 23 years and still ride...
Tomorrow when i'm driving my truck and i see a bike or two riding the white
line or the emergency lane with no indicators on, i'll try to remember your
comments......
"NOT a matter of creating a gap!! or just barging in because they've got the
indicator on."......
And i'll close that gap a bit, just to suit your way of thinking :)
Try waiting for a gap in a truck pissant.....you get bored after 2kms
cheers
roddent
SSSSSSSSoooooooooooooooooooo easy to manoevre around a truck then blast
past.
u block up one side then all we do is fly past from the other before u
have time to scratch.
I don't think you have ridden for 23 years if you think the way you do.
your thinking wrong smee its "not" the truck drivers fault if the
trailer tail just "happens" to move a little when your blasting past .
"atec" wrote.
Post by atec
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by rodent
[...]
Yes but this is Wile-Smee-Coyote we're talking about

TB
atec
2004-08-16 11:19:30 UTC
Post by TB
"atec" wrote.
Post by atec
Post by atec
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by rodent
line or the emergency lane with no indicators on, i'll try to remember
your
Post by atec
Post by SmeeR1100s
comments......
Post by atec
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by rodent
indicator on."......
And i'll close that gap a bit, just to suit your way of thinking :)
Try waiting for a gap in a truck pissant.....you get bored after 2kms
cheers
roddent
SSSSSSSSoooooooooooooooooooo easy to manoevre around a truck then blast
past.
u block up one side then all we do is fly past from the other before u
have time to scratch.
I don't think you have ridden for 23 years if you think the way you do.
your thinking wrong smee its "not" the truck drivers fault if the
trailer tail just "happens" to move a little when your blasting past .
Yes but this is Wile-Smee-Coyote we're talking about
its a teacher , how smart would it be ?
Post by TB
TB
Post by atec
Post by TB
"atec" wrote.
Post by atec
Post by atec
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by rodent
line or the emergency lane with no indicators on, i'll try to remember
your
Post by atec
Post by SmeeR1100s
comments......
Post by atec
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by rodent
indicator on."......
And i'll close that gap a bit, just to suit your way of thinking :)
Try waiting for a gap in a truck pissant.....you get bored after 2kms
cheers
roddent
SSSSSSSSoooooooooooooooooooo easy to manoevre around a truck then blast
past.
u block up one side then all we do is fly past from the other before u
have time to scratch.
I don't think you have ridden for 23 years if you think the way you do.
your thinking wrong smee its "not" the truck drivers fault if the
trailer tail just "happens" to move a little when your blasting past .
Yes but this is Wile-Smee-Coyote we're talking about
its a teacher , how smart would it be ?
There's smart and there's cunning
I'm cunning.
TB
2004-08-16 11:42:56 UTC
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by atec
Post by TB
"atec" wrote.
Post by atec
Post by atec
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by rodent
line or the emergency lane with no indicators on, i'll try to remember
your
Post by atec
Post by SmeeR1100s
comments......
Post by atec
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by rodent
indicator on."......
And i'll close that gap a bit, just to suit your way of thinking :)
Try waiting for a gap in a truck pissant.....you get bored after 2kms
cheers
roddent
SSSSSSSSoooooooooooooooooooo easy to manoevre around a truck then blast
past.
u block up one side then all we do is fly past from the other before u
have time to scratch.
I don't think you have ridden for 23 years if you think the way you do.
your thinking wrong smee its "not" the truck drivers fault if the
trailer tail just "happens" to move a little when your blasting past .
Yes but this is Wile-Smee-Coyote we're talking about
its a teacher , how smart would it be ?
There's smart and there's cunning
I'm cunning.
You're cunning what? What are you cunning? Your sentence doesn't make sense

TB
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by TB
You're cunning what? What are you cunning? Your sentence doesn't make sense
TB
--
I'm just cunning.
You keep saying that...

TB

Post by TB
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by TB
You're cunning what? What are you cunning? Your sentence doesn't make
sense
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by TB
TB
"SmeeR1100s" wrotre
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by TB
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by TB
You're cunning what? What are you cunning? Your sentence doesn't make
sense
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by TB
TB
--
I'm just cunning.
You keep saying that...

TB
shh.. can you hear them?
...SHH!
atec
2004-08-16 11:59:32 UTC
Post by rodent
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by atec
Post by TB
"atec" wrote.
Post by atec
Post by atec
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by rodent
line or the emergency lane with no indicators on, i'll try to
remember
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by atec
Post by TB
your
Post by atec
Post by SmeeR1100s
comments......
Post by atec
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by atec
Post by TB
Post by atec
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by atec
Post by TB
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by atec
Post by TB
Post by atec
your thinking wrong smee its "not" the truck drivers fault if the
trailer tail just "happens" to move a little when your blasting past .
Yes but this is Wile-Smee-Coyote we're talking about
its a teacher , how smart would it be ?
There's smart and there's cunning
I'm cunning.
You're cunning what? What are you cunning? Your sentence doesn't make sense
are you meaning the other cun word ? ?
Post by rodent
TB
"atec"
Post by atec
are you meaning the other cun word ? ?
sounds Chinese....

TB
Post by TB
"atec"
Post by atec
are you meaning the other cun word ? ?
sounds Chinese....
it means lick something but I cant spell it :_)
Post by TB
TB
Post by rodent
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by atec
Post by TB
"atec" wrote.
Post by atec
Post by atec
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by rodent
line or the emergency lane with no indicators on, i'll try to
remember
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by atec
Post by TB
your
Post by atec
Post by SmeeR1100s
comments......
Post by atec
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by atec
Post by TB
Post by atec
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by atec
Post by TB
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by atec
Post by TB
Post by atec
your thinking wrong smee its "not" the truck drivers fault if the
trailer tail just "happens" to move a little when your blasting past .
Yes but this is Wile-Smee-Coyote we're talking about
its a teacher , how smart would it be ?
There's smart and there's cunning
I'm cunning.
You're cunning what? What are you cunning? Your sentence doesn't make sense
TB
--
I thought cunning was something you did in a booth...

Pat
atec
2004-08-17 06:45:31 UTC
Post by Dave Milligan
Post by rodent
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by atec
Post by TB
"atec" wrote.
Post by atec
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by rodent
First of all Dave, i've rode for 23 years and still ride...
Tomorrow when i'm driving my truck and i see a bike or two riding
the
Post by rodent
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by atec
Post by TB
white
Post by atec
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by rodent
line or the emergency lane with no indicators on, i'll try to
remember
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by atec
Post by TB
your
Post by atec
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by rodent
comments......
"NOT a matter of creating a gap!! or just barging in because
they've
Post by rodent
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by atec
Post by TB
got the
Post by atec
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by atec
Post by TB
Post by atec
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by atec
Post by TB
Post by rodent
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by atec
Post by TB
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by atec
.
Post by rodent
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by atec
Post by TB
Yes but this is Wile-Smee-Coyote we're talking about
its a teacher , how smart would it be ?
There's smart and there's cunning
I'm cunning.
You're cunning what? What are you cunning? Your sentence doesn't make
sense
Post by rodent
TB
Post by Pat Heslewood
I thought cunning was something you did in a booth...
Pat
Like when there is a cunning stunt involved.

Moike

(a stunning...?)
Nev..
2004-08-18 00:46:28 UTC
Post by Moike
Post by Pat Heslewood
I thought cunning was something you did in a booth...
Pat
Like when there is a cunning stunt involved.
Moike
(a stunning...?)
drop all the hints you want Moike... atec still won't get it.

Nev..
'03 ZX12R
atec
2004-08-16 11:57:52 UTC
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by atec
Post by TB
"atec" wrote.
Post by atec
Post by atec
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by rodent
line or the emergency lane with no indicators on, i'll try to remember
your
Post by atec
Post by SmeeR1100s
comments......
Post by atec
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by rodent
indicator on."......
And i'll close that gap a bit, just to suit your way of thinking :)
Try waiting for a gap in a truck pissant.....you get bored after 2kms
cheers
roddent
SSSSSSSSoooooooooooooooooooo easy to manoevre around a truck then blast
past.
u block up one side then all we do is fly past from the other before u
have time to scratch.
I don't think you have ridden for 23 years if you think the way you do.
your thinking wrong smee its "not" the truck drivers fault if the
trailer tail just "happens" to move a little when your blasting past .
Yes but this is Wile-Smee-Coyote we're talking about
its a teacher , how smart would it be ?
There's smart and there's cunning
I'm cunning.
the word is sneaky , like a shiite house rat with a gold tooth .
Post by atec
the word is sneaky , like a shiite house rat with a gold tooth .
Racist prick.

Why should one expect a muslim house rat to be any more sneaky than a
christian one?

Moike
SmeeR1100s
It's a sunni day here in melbourne today.
david
ayatollah not to mention Melbourne
SmeeR1100s
It's fully sikh here in melbourne.
paulh
2004-08-17 03:08:15 UTC
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by david
Post by SmeeR1100s
It's a sunni day here in melbourne today.
ayatollah not to mention Melbourne
It's fully sikh here in melbourne.
Gawds youse are a pack of mormons.....

paulh
atec
wtf ?
Didn't think so.

Moike
atec
2004-08-17 03:59:44 UTC
Post by Moike
wtf ?
Didn't think so.
Moike
I always though the gold tooth was another certain religion and now you
say otherwise ?.
Post by atec
Post by Moike
wtf ?
Didn't think so.
Moike
I always though the gold tooth was another certain religion and now you
say otherwise ?.
You wrote Shiite instead of shit, a shiite is a muslim sect

JL
Knobdoodle
2004-08-17 12:17:10 UTC
Post by John Littler
Post by atec
Post by Moike
wtf ?
Didn't think so.
I always though the gold tooth was another certain religion and now you
say otherwise ?.
You wrote Shiite instead of shit, a shiite is a muslim sect
Littler you fukkin' spoilsport; Moike coulda' strung this along for DAYS!!
Now I have to go pull the wings off flies or something.........
--
Clem
[Snoorer to the stars]
Moike
2004-08-18 00:32:03 UTC
Naah, I'm easily bored.

Moike
conehead
2004-08-17 06:37:58 UTC
Not wtf......it's whoosh

--
conehead
try one of these wild-man pills, sir
Post by atec
wtf ?
Post by Moike
Post by atec
the word is sneaky , like a shiite house rat with a gold tooth .
Racist prick.
Why should one expect a muslim house rat to be any more sneaky than a
christian one?
Moike
Im actually surprised moike bothered , but if it gives a vicarious to
misinterpret my post who am I to say no .
Post by conehead
Not wtf......it's whoosh
--
conehead
try one of these wild-man pills, sir
Post by atec
wtf ?
Post by Moike
Post by atec
the word is sneaky , like a shiite house rat with a gold tooth .
Racist prick.
Why should one expect a muslim house rat to be any more sneaky than a
christian one?
Moike
Bloody long memory! I'm impressed.

Not wtf......it's whoosh
John Littler
2004-08-17 11:38:01 UTC
You're not the sharpest knife in the drawer are you atec ?

JL
Post by atec
Im actually surprised moike bothered , but if it gives a vicarious to
misinterpret my post who am I to say no .
Post by conehead
Not wtf......it's whoosh
--
conehead
try one of these wild-man pills, sir
Post by atec
wtf ?
Knobdoodle
2004-08-17 12:18:32 UTC
Post by John Littler
You're not the sharpest knife in the drawer are you atec ?
Damn... and I've just taken on a new sig-file....
--
Clem
[Snoorer to the stars]
sharkey
2004-08-18 01:47:10 UTC
Post by John Littler
You're not the sharpest knife in the drawer are you atec ?
PLEASE DIAGRAM THIS JOKE.

-----sharks
Iain Chalmers
2004-08-18 03:22:01 UTC
+--------------------------------+
| | <-- the drawer
| |
| |\ <-- the sharpest knife |
| | \ |
| | | ----- |
| | | / \ |
| | | O O |
| | | U |
| | | --- |
| | | atec --> | |
| | | + |
| | | /|\ |
| -+-+- / | \ |
| XXX | |
| XXX / \ |
| XXX / \ |
| XXX |
| XXX |
| XXX |
| XXX |
| |
+--------------------------------+
+-----------+ <-- the drawer handle

Hope that helps...

big
--
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.
That's the only way to be sure." - Ellen Ripley
Knobdoodle
2004-08-18 03:49:10 UTC
BRILLIANT Iain!
Clem
(But I think there should be a shitload more knives in that draw before we
get to atec... and some spoons... and a hammer.... maybe a jellyfish....)
Post by Iain Chalmers
Post by sharkey
Post by John Littler
You're not the sharpest knife in the drawer are you atec ?
PLEASE DIAGRAM THIS JOKE.
+--------------------------------+
| | <-- the drawer
| |
| |\ <-- the sharpest knife |
| | \ |
| | | ----- |
| | | / \ |
| | | O O |
| | | U |
| | | --- |
| | | atec --> | |
| | | + |
| | | /|\ |
| -+-+- / | \ |
| XXX | |
| XXX / \ |
| XXX / \ |
| XXX |
| XXX |
| XXX |
| XXX |
| |
+--------------------------------+
+-----------+ <-- the drawer handle
Hope that helps...
big
SmeeR1100s
2004-08-16 11:30:07 UTC
Post by atec
your thinking wrong smee its "not" the truck drivers fault if the
trailer tail just "happens" to move a little when your blasting past .
ah but u take a page from the fighter pilots
come up from the blind side and dive past.
Truckers mirrors are their best friends but also their worst enemies.
TB
2004-08-16 11:44:46 UTC
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by atec
your thinking wrong smee its "not" the truck drivers fault if the
trailer tail just "happens" to move a little when your blasting past .
ah but u take a page from the fighter pilots
come up from the blind side and dive past.
Truckers mirrors are their best friends but also their worst enemies.
This is starting to sound dangerous...

TB
*tentative*
atec
2004-08-16 11:58:39 UTC
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by atec
your thinking wrong smee its "not" the truck drivers fault if the
trailer tail just "happens" to move a little when your blasting past .
ah but u take a page from the fighter pilots
come up from the blind side and dive past.
Truckers mirrors are their best friends but also their worst enemies.
never used truck mirrors have you ?
"atec" wrote.
Post by atec
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by atec
your thinking wrong smee its "not" the truck drivers fault if the
trailer tail just "happens" to move a little when your blasting past .
ah but u take a page from the fighter pilots
come up from the blind side and dive past.
Truckers mirrors are their best friends but also their worst enemies.
never used truck mirrors have you ?
--
He's used tractor mirrors.. close enough

TB

Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by atec
Post by TB
"atec" wrote.
Post by atec
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by atec
your thinking wrong smee its "not" the truck drivers fault if the
trailer tail just "happens" to move a little when your blasting past .
ah but u take a page from the fighter pilots
come up from the blind side and dive past.
Truckers mirrors are their best friends but also their worst enemies.
never used truck mirrors have you ?
--
He's used tractor mirrors.. close enough
and what did he do with them , should I know this ?
Would you two like a room?
He said on irc you are a very attractive man.
That's correct I am a very attractive man ( wife said so ), but what's
irc ( yes I do know)
now stop being greek and go watch what your home land is hosting , Im
going to ZZZZZ land.
Post by atec
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by atec
Post by TB
"atec" wrote.
Post by atec
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by atec
your thinking wrong smee its "not" the truck drivers fault if the
trailer tail just "happens" to move a little when your blasting past .
ah but u take a page from the fighter pilots
come up from the blind side and dive past.
Truckers mirrors are their best friends but also their worst enemies.
never used truck mirrors have you ?
--
He's used tractor mirrors.. close enough
and what did he do with them , should I know this ?
Would you two like a room?
He said on irc you are a very attractive man.
That's correct I am a very attractive man ( wife said so ), but what's
irc ( yes I do know)
now stop being greek and go watch what your home land is hosting , Im
going to ZZZZZ land.
Well I'm not one for copying and pasting but you should've seen what Smee
said about Neil Diamond,,,

TB
rustydog

Dave Milligan said....
Post by Dave Milligan
Surely the vehicle moving over the dotted lines (and therefore
changing lanes or merging from a closed lane) must give way!
Therefore it's a matter of waiting for a gap.
NOT a matter of creating a gap!! or just barging in because they've
got the indicator on.
That's my interpretation of this discussion.
You're correct. I was talking about courtesy and if someone indicates,
to allow them to merge or move over, if it's safe to do so.
Nev..
2004-08-16 14:43:32 UTC
Post by Martin Taylor
Dave Milligan said....
Post by Dave Milligan
Surely the vehicle moving over the dotted lines (and therefore
changing lanes or merging from a closed lane) must give way!
Therefore it's a matter of waiting for a gap.
NOT a matter of creating a gap!! or just barging in because they've
got the indicator on.
That's my interpretation of this discussion.
You're correct. I was talking about courtesy and if someone indicates,
to allow them to merge or move over, if it's safe to do so.
Tell you one place I definitely will not give way to people merging... on
roads where 2 lanes become 1 and there is a sign preceding the merge point by
500 metres and drivers insist on driving in the lane which disappears right to
the very end.. either through stupidity or rudeness... whichever it is, they
can go behind me.

Nev..
'03 ZX12R
BT Humble
2004-08-17 01:32:44 UTC
Post by Nev..
Tell you one place I definitely will not give way to people merging... on
roads where 2 lanes become 1 and there is a sign preceding the merge point by
500 metres and drivers insist on driving in the lane which disappears right to
the very end.. either through stupidity or rudeness... whichever it is, they
can go behind me.
But Nev, I do that when I'm driving my truck so that as many people as
possible can get past!

BTH
(Even if I'm in a hurry, I don't get anywhere very fast in that
thing!)
paulh
2004-08-17 03:10:16 UTC
Post by Nev..
Post by Martin Taylor
Post by Dave Milligan
NOT a matter of creating a gap!! or just barging in because they've
got the indicator on.
That's my interpretation of this discussion.
You're correct. I was talking about courtesy and if someone indicates,
to allow them to merge or move over, if it's safe to do so.
Tell you one place I definitely will not give way to people merging... on
roads where 2 lanes become 1 and there is a sign preceding the merge point by
500 metres and drivers insist on driving in the lane which disappears right to
the very end.. either through stupidity or rudeness... whichever it is, they
can go behind me.
I'm often offended by people who attempt to outdrag me to the merge
point.. they never win...

paulh
Richard Fay
2004-08-17 09:33:34 UTC
Post by Nev..
Tell you one place I definitely will not give way to people merging...
i'll say it again....

A driver in a line of traffic that is merging with one or more
lines of traffic travelling in the same direction as the driver
must give way to a vehicle in another line of traffic if any part
of the vehicle is ahead of the driver's vehicle.

You HAVE to give way if they are in front of you :)
atec
2004-08-17 09:43:05 UTC
Post by Richard Fay
Post by Nev..
Tell you one place I definitely will not give way to people merging...
i'll say it again....
A driver in a line of traffic that is merging with one or more
lines of traffic travelling in the same direction as the driver
must give way to a vehicle in another line of traffic if any part
of the vehicle is ahead of the driver's vehicle.
You HAVE to give way if they are in front of you :)
over ridden by lane change rules .
Post by Richard Fay
Post by Nev..
Tell you one place I definitely will not give way to people merging...
i'll say it again....
A driver in a line of traffic that is merging with one or more
lines of traffic travelling in the same direction as the driver
must give way to a vehicle in another line of traffic if any part
of the vehicle is ahead of the driver's vehicle.
You HAVE to give way if they are in front of you :)
ONLY if there is no dotted white line between you

The lanes which dwindle down to nothing require the person in that lane
to give way to any traffic in the lane that continues - the rules for
crossing a dotted white line continue to apply - you can only do so
after indicating and if it is safe to do so.

So if you're in the lane that cuts off to nothing and you're half a car
ahead of another car it is NOT legal to force your way across.

JL
Martin Taylor
2004-08-17 14:00:47 UTC
Richard Fay said....
Post by Richard Fay
You HAVE to give way if they are in front of you :)
Only if the merging vehicle isn't crossing the dotted lines that
delineate the end of the lane. Where there is simply a narrowing of the
road and one lane's formed, with no painted broken lines, then yeah,
you're correct.

If the vehicle has to cross broken lines in order to merge, then it has
to give way.
Baileyana Embroidery
2004-08-16 23:34:42 UTC
If you are driving a truck and put indicator on, it means that every car
behind you must immediately accelerate into the spot to keep the dirty big
slow horrible truck out of the lane, don't let it (the truck) get in front
of you .thats why trucks stay in the right lane for miles in Sydney traffic,
they know they will not be able to get into a turning postion before their
turn off if they leave it to the last block.

Mick Chester
Cootamundra
SmeeR1100s
2004-08-17 00:04:18 UTC
wtf are trucks doing in the right lane in the first place?
In Melbourne there are signs that CLEARLY state trucks should use the
left lanes especially on the westgate bridge and the tunnels.
Do they?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Sometimes they occupy all the lanes and create the mother of all
congestion behind them.
Cops don't seem to want to enforce this little gem though.
Cootamundra
Knobdoodle
2004-08-17 11:56:39 UTC
Post by Baileyana Embroidery
If you are driving a truck and put indicator on, it means that every car
behind you must immediately accelerate into the spot to keep the dirty big
slow horrible truck out of the lane, don't let it (the truck) get in front
of you .thats why trucks stay in the right lane for miles in Sydney traffic,
they know they will not be able to get into a turning postion before their
turn off if they leave it to the last block.
Ditto if you're a bus driver trying to pull into the traffic.
--
Clem
[Snoorer to the stars]
Nev..
2004-08-18 00:56:54 UTC
Post by Baileyana Embroidery
Post by Baileyana Embroidery
If you are driving a truck and put indicator on, it means that every car
behind you must immediately accelerate into the spot to keep the dirty
big
Post by Baileyana Embroidery
slow horrible truck out of the lane, don't let it (the truck) get in
front
Post by Baileyana Embroidery
of you .thats why trucks stay in the right lane for miles in Sydney
traffic,
Post by Baileyana Embroidery
they know they will not be able to get into a turning postion before
their
Post by Baileyana Embroidery
turn off if they leave it to the last block.
Ditto if you're a bus driver trying to pull into the traffic.
In Victoria they don't have that problem. All traffic must give way to a bus
which is merging back into traffic from a bus stop. Busses here generally
just move back into the lane after a cursory glance in the mirror and let the
traffic behind them sort themselves out.

Nev..
'03 ZX12R
Stan Gifford - APAC command centre manager
2004-08-18 01:08:19 UTC
We have this system in NSW as well. The "Animal Farm" version of road
user equality.

All road users are equal - but some are more equal than others.

Stan
'03 ZX12R
Nev..
2004-08-18 02:42:05 UTC
Post by Stan Gifford - APAC command centre manager
We have this system in NSW as well. The "Animal Farm" version of road
user equality.
All road users are equal - but some are more equal than others.
Why do you think it's got anything to do with equality. The intention of the
law is to aid the [speedy] movement of public transport at the expense of all
other road users.

Nev..
'03 ZX12R
Knobdoodle
2004-08-18 01:35:08 UTC
Post by Nev..
Post by Knobdoodle
Ditto if you're a bus driver trying to pull into the traffic.
In Victoria they don't have that problem. All traffic must give way to a bus
which is merging back into traffic from a bus stop. Busses here generally
just move back into the lane after a cursory glance in the mirror and let the
traffic behind them sort themselves out.
We've got this rule too but it's never enforced so you get these pinheads
who try their hardest to get around the bus, sometimes going right across
the double-white lines just so they don't have to let the bus get in front!
No one's ever booked because the traffic cops are all manning radars and
speed cameras so provided you dont speed (or run red lights) no other road
rules apply.
--
Clem
[Snoorer to the stars]
Scott Gilbert
uh, no. One is rude, the other is potentially lethal. Quite the difference IMNSHO
Bruce Sutherland
what a fool, everyone knows right of way = mass x velocity
Baron Von Rotter
2004-08-17 07:01:12 UTC
lol I got given the bird today by a sheila who was totally insulted by
the fact that she decided to look into her rear vision mirror after god
knows how long and see the ZZR occupying it. She quickly shifted into
the left hand lane that was empty for the last oh... 200 metres and then
flipped me the bird !

lol bitch
ZZR250 ---- ZZR600 ---- SP1 ---- ZZR1200
atec
2004-08-17 07:08:34 UTC
Post by Baron Von Rotter
lol I got given the bird today by a sheila who was totally insulted by
the fact that she decided to look into her rear vision mirror after god
knows how long and see the ZZR occupying it. She quickly shifted into
the left hand lane that was empty for the last oh... 200 metres and then
flipped me the bird !
sounds like she has met you ?>
Post by Baron Von Rotter
lol bitch
Slow day at work atec?
Moike
2004-08-17 07:48:40 UTC
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by atec
sounds like she has met you ?>
Slow day at work atec?
it works?
atec
2004-08-17 08:39:26 UTC
Post by SmeeR1100s
Post by atec
Post by Baron Von Rotter
lol I got given the bird today by a sheila who was totally insulted by
the fact that she decided to look into her rear vision mirror after god
knows how long and see the ZZR occupying it. She quickly shifted into
the left hand lane that was empty for the last oh... 200 metres and then
flipped me the bird !
sounds like she has met you ?>
Slow day at work atec?
no . two jobs 4 hours in the middle .
Post by Baron Von Rotter
lol I got given the bird today by a sheila who was totally insulted by
the fact that she decided to look into her rear vision mirror after god
knows how long and see the ZZR occupying it. She quickly shifted into
the left hand lane that was empty for the last oh... 200 metres and then
flipped me the bird !
You were riding a BIKE?!!?
Christ; how could she have anticipated THAT!!
Clem
[who's gonna' be friggin' nervous come GP time...]
Richard Fay
2004-08-17 09:30:53 UTC
Post by James Mayfield
I think I've found a new thing to be my number one pet hate.
People who truly, utterly, and completely believe that they have the right
of way to move into your lane (over the top of you no less) just because
they have their blinker on.
Every morning I get some idiot or another doing it (the Woodville Rd, Church
St, M4, Parra Rd intersection is notorious for it).
They want to merge left, into my lane.
When you say merge does that mean that two lanes become one?

If so then this rule applies:

A driver in a line of traffic that is merging with one or more
lines of traffic travelling in the same direction as the driver
must give way to a vehicle in another line of traffic if any part
of the vehicle is ahead of the driver's vehicle.

In other words if they are in front they do indeed have right of way and you
are in the wrong.

Richard
Iain Chalmers
2004-08-17 09:36:59 UTC
In article
Post by Richard Fay
Post by James Mayfield
I think I've found a new thing to be my number one pet hate.
People who truly, utterly, and completely believe that they have the right
of way to move into your lane (over the top of you no less) just because
they have their blinker on.
They want to merge left, into my lane.
When you say merge does that mean that two lanes become one?
A driver in a line of traffic that is merging with one or more
lines of traffic travelling in the same direction as the driver
must give way to a vehicle in another line of traffic if any part
of the vehicle is ahead of the driver's vehicle.
In other words if they are in front they do indeed have right of way and you
are in the wrong.
I'm pretty sure that only applies at merges where the lane dividing
lines stop. If one vehicle needs to cross a broken line to "merge", its
really "changing lanes" not "merging", and it _has_ to give way to
traffic already in the other lane no matter whether its ahead or not.

big